CEDAR CITY — Ryan Brimley had 14 points and Ramell Taylor scored the go-ahead basket as Southern Utah defeated Cal State Bakersfield 63-59 Wednesday night.
Taylor's dunk with 1:33 left gave the Thunderbirds (7-15) a 58-56 lead. Taylor scored 11 points, Matt Massey had 10 and Ray Jones added six assists.
Stephon Carter led the Roadrunners (9-13) with 14 points. Rashad Savage added 13 and Alex Johnson 10 for Bakersfield, an independent that has lost eight of its last nine. Donald Johnson grabbed nine rebounds as the Roadrunners piled up a 42-33 edge on the boards.
"We will take the win over a quality opponent anytime," SUU head coach Roger Reid said. "We hung in there in a close game and came away with a win at home. I thought Ramell played with great enthusiasm, really worked hard on the boards and made some big baskets for us down the stretch."
Southern Utah ended a three-game losing streak by shooting 51.2 percent (22 of 43).
Southern Utah led 56-51 with 3:55 left, but the Roadrunners got a free throw from Carter and consecutive baskets from Savage to tie it at 56 with 1:54 to go.
Then Taylor scored, and the Thunderbirds had the lead for good.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28