CEDAR CITY — Ryan Brimley had 14 points and Ramell Taylor scored the go-ahead basket as Southern Utah defeated Cal State Bakersfield 63-59 Wednesday night.
Taylor's dunk with 1:33 left gave the Thunderbirds (7-15) a 58-56 lead. Taylor scored 11 points, Matt Massey had 10 and Ray Jones added six assists.
Stephon Carter led the Roadrunners (9-13) with 14 points. Rashad Savage added 13 and Alex Johnson 10 for Bakersfield, an independent that has lost eight of its last nine. Donald Johnson grabbed nine rebounds as the Roadrunners piled up a 42-33 edge on the boards.
"We will take the win over a quality opponent anytime," SUU head coach Roger Reid said. "We hung in there in a close game and came away with a win at home. I thought Ramell played with great enthusiasm, really worked hard on the boards and made some big baskets for us down the stretch."
Southern Utah ended a three-game losing streak by shooting 51.2 percent (22 of 43).
Southern Utah led 56-51 with 3:55 left, but the Roadrunners got a free throw from Carter and consecutive baskets from Savage to tie it at 56 with 1:54 to go.
Then Taylor scored, and the Thunderbirds had the lead for good.
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26