"It's like being at Utah — going from one winning program to another winning program," Sylvester said. "Last year the Steelers didn't go to the playoffs. They went 9-7. A lot of people will take that, but that's a down season for the Steelers. That's an unacceptable season. It's just like at Utah. We don't like to lose. When we lose, it's a horrible feeling."
Whittingham, who hopes to attend the Super Bowl, is amazed at how much Sylvester has developed since he was a high school basketball star, and he credits the linebacker's work ethic for it.
"He developed here in all areas — physically, just everything," Whittingham said. "He came here a boy and left here a man."
On Sunday, he'll be a man playing a kid's game on the grandest stage of American sports.
Super Bowl XLV
Steelers vs. Packers
Sunday, 4:29 p.m.
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- Hard work, dedication pay off for Utah's Karl...
- LIVE TODAY: Deseret News live streaming...
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino leaves BYU...
- ESPN trivia guru: University of Utah graduate...
- High school softball: Copper Hills earns a...
- Randy Hollis: Coach Phil Russell made a huge...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Hard work, dedication pay off for... 35
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 29
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 12
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino... 11
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8