Utah Jazz: No Deron Williams, but plenty of 'D' in win
That's when defense, Millsap and an extremely long possession saved the game.
Kirilenko stole an errant pass by Eduardo Najera with 1:21 to go, preventing the Bobcats from getting off a shot to take the lead.
But the Jazz extended the play and gobbled up 41 seconds when they got the ball back after three misses. Millsap crashed the offensive glass twice, and the second time led to his clutch pair of free throws with 40.5 seconds left.
Raja Bell cinched the win with two freebies after rebounding Charlotte's ensuing miss.
The Bobcats seemed OK with the loss, seeing as they didn't foul after Millsap grabbed a rebound with the Jazz up by five with 16.9 seconds remaining.
Earl Watson started for the third game in a row for Williams, but foul trouble limited his playing time to just under 20 minutes. The offense ran smoothly when he was in, and the veteran finished with six assists, five points and three boards.
"I just wanted to come out and be aggressive defensively," said Watson, who had two fouls barely three minutes in with the Jazz up 9-0.
Added Bell: "I thought it was a great effort defensively. We were aggressive defensively … I thought we helped each other out a lot better and rebounded well."
Sure enough, the Jazz outrebounded the Bobcats 49-36, with the most important board landing in Millsap's injured hand.
GAME NOTES: Millsap dislocated his left pinkie early on but returned to action. Kirilenko also sprained his left ankle. X-rays taken on the players' injuries came out negative, and they're considered day-to-day. … The sidelined Williams (wrist) and Mehmet Okur (back) are also day-to-day. … The Jazz improved to 9-1 and 7-0 at home when opponents score less than 90 points. … The previous offensive low for an opponent came on Nov. 22 when Utah beat Sacramento 94-83.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- 'In Football We Trust' puts a religious twist...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 66
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 24
- Utes get it done at home again 21
- Matt Carlino playing much the same at... 19