News analysis: Analysis: Why Jon Huntsman Jr. may be running for president
So Jon Huntsman Jr. may be planning to resign his ambassadorship to China in order to begin running for president later this year.
First of all, some speculate Huntsman is going to run for president because he can. He holds sufficient gravitas for a presidential run because his résumé is already political gold in light of its exceptionally rare combination of gubernatorial leadership and extensive foreign diplomacy.
Secondly, Huntsman has nothing to lose. Given his father's billionaire status, the former Utah governor's financial security is ensured regardless of what comes next. Just listen to what Bud Scruggs, president of Huntsman Financial Corp., told the Deseret News this morning: "When I was talking to (Huntsman) in December, he was talking about midsummer … about making decisions generally." Who do you know that, 16 months into the biggest job of his life, is already thinking about quitting? The ambitious man with nothing to lose.
In politics and trapeze artistry, timing is everything. And that's ultimately the biggest reason Huntsman is likely going to run — the field will never be riper for a moderate Republican like Huntsman to become president than it is right now. Would tea partiers prefer a dyed-in-the-wool conservative to Huntsman? (Cough, Huckabee, cough.) Of course they would.
But does Huckabee have an ice cube's chance in Dubai of beating Barrack Obama? No way, because it's inconceivable to think that the former Arkansas governor would win over many independents or moderate Democrats. Because he's environmentally friendly and a social moderate, Huntsman's biggest selling point is this: he's the Republican who can win the proverbial swing vote, and so he's the Republican who can take down Obama.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13