LOGAN — Utah State men's basketball player Brian Green has been named the Western Athletic Conference Player of the Week it was announced by the league office today. Green was also named the Utah State Student-Athlete of the Week.
It is the first time in his career that Green has been named WAC Player of the Week and the fourth time that a Utah State player has received the award this year as senior forward Tai Wesley has won it twice and junior forward Brady Jardine won it once. As for USU Athlete of the Week, it is the second time that Green has garnered USU's top weekly individual honor.
Green, a 6-1, 200-pound senior guard from Kaysville (Davis HS/Salt Lake CC) led Utah State to a pair of road wins last week at San Jose State (84-65) and at Hawaii (89-84 2OT).
Against the Spartans, Green scored a career-high 25 points and tied his career-high with six rebounds as he was 8-of-9 from the field, 5-of-5 from three-point range and 4-for-4 at the free-throw line.
Green also tied a school record for shooting percentage from three in the game. Against the Rainbow Warriors, Green scored 22 points to go along with three rebounds and three assists in a career-high 38 minutes.
In the game, Green hit a pair of game-tying shots as he tied it at 66-all to send it into overtime on a long two-pointer, and then hit a 30-footer late in the first overtime to tie it at 73, sending it into another extra period. Green than sank four straight free throws in the final six seconds of the second overtime to seal the win.
For the week, Green averaged 23.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists, and shot 68.2 percent from the field (15-22), 61.5 percent from three-point range (8-13) and 90.0 percent at the free throw line (9-10).
Green currently ranks first in the WAC in three-point field goal shooting (.470), eighth in overall shooting (.481) and 14th in scoring (11.8).
Utah State, who is 20-2 on the season and 9-0 in WAC play, returns to action on Wednesday, Feb. 2 when it hosts Nevada (8-13, 5-3) in a nationally televised game on ESPN2 at 9 p.m.
2010-11 Utah State Athlete of the Week Winners
Aug. 30 – Liz McArthur, Volleyball
Sept. 6 – Liz McArthur, Volleyball
Sept. 13 – Shay Sorensen, Volleyball
Sept. 20 – Christine Morrill, Volleyball
Sept. 27 – Sven Poslusny, Men's Tennis
Oct. 4 – Derrvin Speight, Football
Oct. 11 – Lauren Hansen, Soccer
Oct. 18 – Molli Merrill, Soccer
Oct. 25 – Bryan Marchant, Men's Tennis
Nov. 1 – Lauren Hansen, Soccer
Nov. 8 – Kerwynn Williams, Football
Nov. 15 – Brockeith Pane, Men's Basketball
Nov. 22 – Shantell Durrant, Volleyball
Nov. 29 – Liz McArthur, Volleyball
Dec. 6 – Ashlee Brown, Women's Basketball
Dec. 13 – Tai Wesley, Men's Basketball
Dec. 27 – Brian Green, Men's Basketball
Jan. 3 – Tai Wesley, Men's Basketball
Jan. 10 – Tai Wesley, Men's Basketball
Jan. 17 – Ashlee Brown, Women's Basketball
Jan. 24 – Jakob Asplund, Men's Tennis
Jan. 31 – Brian Green, Men's Basketball
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 83
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 62
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 29
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20