"I'm probably at the bottom of the barrel in slopestyle, trying to catch up with where they're at," he conceded.
It's strange to see White so vulnerable on a snowboard, so human.
"I don't think he's ever been far behind in anything in snowboarding," said Kevin Pearce, who's serving as an analyst as he recovers from a traumatic brain injury he sustained just over a year ago while practicing in the halfpipe. "I think that's exciting for him, because he's never had anything to work on. He's unstoppable in the pipe."
Lago was competing despite breaking his jaw, cracking a bone in his chin, chomping through his tongue and chipping teeth two weeks ago when he landed awkwardly from 40 feet in the air while filming scenes for a movie.
He grabbed the early lead with one of the best runs of his life.
"I think it was better than the Olympics," said Lago, who won the bronze in Vancouver. "I was fired up. But I knew Shaun was going to throw down. That's Shaun White."
True to form, White went big on his second attempt, pumping his fist after a nearly flawless run that included the McTwist.
"I think if you believe in your tricks enough, they come through for you," White said.
In other finals on the last day of Winter X:
— Snowmobiler Tucker Hibbert, of Goodridge, Minn., won his fifth straight crown in SnoCross.
— Rookie Enni Rukajarvi of Finland captured the women's snowboard slopestyle final.
— Despite both crashing on the final jump and sliding across the finish line, Canada's Kelsey Serwa ended the reign of France's Ophelie David in women's skier X. Serwa bruised her tailbone and scraped her nose in the win, while David didn't seek medical treatment.
— John Teller, of Mammoth Lakes, Calif., held off defending champion Chris Del Bosco in men's skier X, while Casey Puckett, of Aspen, ended up with the bronze.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: Receiver Nick Kurtz poised for...
- Dick Harmon: How much swagger BYU finds after...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 84
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 62
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 25