"I'm probably at the bottom of the barrel in slopestyle, trying to catch up with where they're at," he conceded.
It's strange to see White so vulnerable on a snowboard, so human.
"I don't think he's ever been far behind in anything in snowboarding," said Kevin Pearce, who's serving as an analyst as he recovers from a traumatic brain injury he sustained just over a year ago while practicing in the halfpipe. "I think that's exciting for him, because he's never had anything to work on. He's unstoppable in the pipe."
Lago was competing despite breaking his jaw, cracking a bone in his chin, chomping through his tongue and chipping teeth two weeks ago when he landed awkwardly from 40 feet in the air while filming scenes for a movie.
He grabbed the early lead with one of the best runs of his life.
"I think it was better than the Olympics," said Lago, who won the bronze in Vancouver. "I was fired up. But I knew Shaun was going to throw down. That's Shaun White."
True to form, White went big on his second attempt, pumping his fist after a nearly flawless run that included the McTwist.
"I think if you believe in your tricks enough, they come through for you," White said.
In other finals on the last day of Winter X:
— Snowmobiler Tucker Hibbert, of Goodridge, Minn., won his fifth straight crown in SnoCross.
— Rookie Enni Rukajarvi of Finland captured the women's snowboard slopestyle final.
— Despite both crashing on the final jump and sliding across the finish line, Canada's Kelsey Serwa ended the reign of France's Ophelie David in women's skier X. Serwa bruised her tailbone and scraped her nose in the win, while David didn't seek medical treatment.
— John Teller, of Mammoth Lakes, Calif., held off defending champion Chris Del Bosco in men's skier X, while Casey Puckett, of Aspen, ended up with the bronze.
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- Stewart has brought back an identity —...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Kaelin Clay shows the way...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 61
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 56
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 41
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 39
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31