It is a wonderful principle that when income is rosy you put away a few bucks for lesser days. I would like to give kudos to Mike Leavitt, Olene Walker and others for creating the Rainy Day Fund and stashing several surplus dollars in it during roaring times.
We can certainly see the wisdom in this policy during these lean times. One of the flaws in our system is during high-income times we add a bevy of employees, benefits and programs that continue in hard times and are difficult to pay for in lesser economies. Utah is still a well-run state, and I compliment the current administration, which seems to be tackling tough problems in a courageous and prudent manner.
T. G. "Bud" Mahas
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: NASA's New Horizons opens up...
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Letter: Voting like a liberal
- Letter: Proper priority
- My view: Use of force debate should recognize...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 65
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 40
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23