It is a wonderful principle that when income is rosy you put away a few bucks for lesser days. I would like to give kudos to Mike Leavitt, Olene Walker and others for creating the Rainy Day Fund and stashing several surplus dollars in it during roaring times.
We can certainly see the wisdom in this policy during these lean times. One of the flaws in our system is during high-income times we add a bevy of employees, benefits and programs that continue in hard times and are difficult to pay for in lesser economies. Utah is still a well-run state, and I compliment the current administration, which seems to be tackling tough problems in a courageous and prudent manner.
T. G. "Bud" Mahas
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 56
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 29
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 26
- Letter: Peanut butter ban? 21
- Letter: Idle elimination 19
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will... 19