ATLANTA — Open house and rededication dates have been set for the LDS Church's recently renovated Atlanta Georgia Temple.
Originally dedicated in 1983, the Atlanta temple was closed July 1, 2009. It will be reopened for public visits daily except Sundays from April 9 to April 23.
Formal rededication will be conducted in two sessions on Sunday, May 1, with both sessions broadcast to LDS congregations located within the temple district.
In conjunction with the temple rededication, a cultural celebration featuring music and dance is scheduled for Saturday, April 30. The temple will reopen for formal temple work on Tuesday, May 3.
The dates were announced Friday by the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The temple is featured on the church's lds.org web site here.
The Atlanta Georgia Tempe serves more than 50,000 LDS Church members living in and around Georgia. It is located about 25 miles northeast of the Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport.
Besides renovations to the temple's exterior and relandscaping of the grounds, the 22-month effort included a complete interior remodel, with new large celestial room windows offering increased daylight-type lighting as well as additional art-glass windows elsewhere in the temple, higher foyer ceilings, progressive ordinance rooms with murals and a nonpatron waiting room.
Ldschruchtemples.com reported some of the temple's past has been incorporated into the renovations, with the crystal from the original celestial room chandelier being crushed and added to the large celestial room windows. Also, marble from the original altars was laid into the chapel's pulpit.
The Atlanta Georgia Temple was originally dedicated June 1, 1983, by President Gordon B. Hinckley, then a counselor in the First Presidency, who promised at the time of an enlarged temple baptistry. He returned in 1997 — then as president of the church — to rededicate the temple baptistry addition, with simultaneous renovations resulting in added office space and remodeled waiting rooms.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 42
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16