With single-parent families on the rise, a lower birth rate and more people either putting off marriage or deciding not to marry at all, some wonder what impact, if any, this kind of trend has on society.
Paul Kerry, a BYU history professor, explained that not only was this kind of world foretold decades ago, but that civilizations in the past have gone through a similar demise of the family, right before collapsing.
Kerry focused on the writings of Carle Zimmerman who wrote "Family and Civilization." In the book, Zimmerman, a sociologist and professor at Harvard, tracks the family over centuries and argues that "familism" (or the supporting of families by civilizations) is the stabilizing force of societies, that when family values fail, so does society.
He said more and more historians are looking at the period known as the Dark Ages in terms of families and seeing that the fall of Rome had something to do with the demise of families.
"The family is the core institution of our civilization and society," Kerry said. "We need to strengthen the family in order to strengthen our communities."
Zimmerman's book was originally published just following World War II. He foresaw a breakdown of the family evident in some places throughout the world today. But Kerry said people can combat this breakdown by supporting organizations that support the family.
"It's a tall order to stabilize the family, but it's for the sake of children, husbands and wives and for the community," he said.
— Sara Lenz
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Blunt force trauma caused S. Carolina woman's...
- Police: Woman found near Goshen died of...
- Man dies after allegedly ignoring police and...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 85
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 32
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9