FARGO, N.D. — Michael Tveidt scored 27 points to lead North Dakota State to an 87-75 victory over Southern Utah on Thursday night.
Eric Carlson added 19 points and Drew Lundberg 14. Taylor Braun had 10 points and five assists for the Bison (10-10, 4-6 Summit League), who broke a four-game losing streak.
The Thunderbirds (6-14, 3-7) were led by Matt Massey's 18 points. Kyle Davis scored 16 and grabbed a game-high seven rebounds, and Ryan Brimley scored 12.
North Dakota State shot 56.1 percent (32 of 57) and made 20 of 21 free throws. Southern Utah went 52.0 percent (26 of 50).
"Overall though, it was our play defensively that hurt us," SUU coach Roger Reid said. "If you don't commit to defense it's tough to win basketball games. We shot 52 percent, we had a good night offensively, but defensively we weren't every good and that goes for rebounding too. We were outrebounded, which doesn't happen very often, but you've got to give them credit, they out-rebounded us and out-defended us."
The Bison led 41-37 at intermission. Tveidt opened the second half with two baskets and Lundberg sank two free throws for a 47-37 lead, after which the Bison never led by fewer than four points. The lead peaked at 17 three times in the final 3 minutes.
"Our play in the first five minute of the second half really hurt us," Reid said. "We were hurrying, not executing, turning it over, and they were able to build a 10-point lead. We came back, cut into their lead, but we were on our heels from that point, and on the road it's hard to always be playing from behind."
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 143
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 34
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21