I appeal to the compassionate citizens of Utah County to stop the destructive legislation being pushed through this session by Rep. Steven Sandstrom. His insatiable desire to further his political career will damage this wonderful State and, by association, the LDS Church.
Let me give you a taste of the horrific international headlines that will surly follow if a bill touted as "tougher legislation than Arizona," is passed: "Utah … The world is NOT welcome here," "This is NOT the place for Hispanics," "Are Mormons prejudiced?" "Utah … Whites only!
I travel frequently throughout Latin America for my job. Media in these countries is reporting that Hispanics are not welcome in Arizona. The facts are that tourism has dropped significantly in Arizona since the adoption of their immigration law. Utah will become a lighting rod for negative media reports affecting tourism, future business and our loving reputation.
People from all over the world come to Utah to enjoy its beauty and associate with friendly, welcoming neighbors. I want the world to know that people who are oppressed, hungry and in need are welcome in my home, Utah.
- My view: History lesson — 'Taking back'...
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America and...
- John Florez: Education — Big government...
- Letter: A 'dying' document
- In our opinion: With caucus compromise, Utah...
- In our opinion: Prison relocation iffy
- Letter: Religious freedom
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to Hitler?
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 67
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 53
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 32
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 30
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to... 30
- Senate defeats Obama in Justice nod 21