He got to 34 points eight minutes into the second half. It was only the second time he'd produced more than 30 points in the Marriott Center in his career.
Usually, the kid saves scoring barrages for the road.
He hit a floater in the lane, came off a screen and hit a three. He hit a double-clutcher while hanging in the air from the top of the key.
In crunch time, Fredette attacked the Aztec defense off a Hartsock screen and got hacked with 3:30 to play. He buried the free throws to put the Cougars up 62-54. Points 35 and 36.
Next time down the floor, he attacked again. Same results, foul and charity tosses. Points 37 and 38. The Cougars led 64-54 with 2:55 to play.
The Jimmer Show.
The game was over, all except the clock.
The Cougars got a stop. BYU started to run clock. Assistant coach Dave Rice called for the high screen. SDSU knew the play. Had a week to prepare. Fredette came off Hartsock and got off a 3-point try which drew a foul from Thomas — three charities to Fredette.
Snap, crackle, pop. Fredette got points 39, 40, 41 from the line. Candy from a kid. BYU led 67-54.
A sea of white in the Marriott Center started the chant: "You got Jimmered, You got Jimmered."
The All-American wasn't done.
Fredette hit a floater with 40 seconds left. Points 42 and 43.
The Jimmer Show.
Down went No. 4 SDSU in what they're calling the biggest game in the history of the Marriott Center and the Mountain West Confernce.
The score? BYU 71, SDSU 58, a 13-point win over what was one of only two undefeated teams in the country.
On the night, Fredette finished with 43 on 14 of 24 shooting against a Fisher team that had been the Iron Curtain through 20 straight games. He made 5 of 8 shots from beyond the arc, 10 of 11 from the line, and four rebounds.
Fredette had no assists and four turnovers.
Fans stormed the floor. Fredette left the hardwood with police running interference, his smile as wide as University Avenue; his 20-1 team basking in Fredette's bright glow.
He came. He shot. He scored.
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Bubba Watson, two-time Masters Golf...
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's...
- Jazz might be saying goodbye to their four...
- Roster rundown: See the contract status and...
- Is Tyrone Corbin gone? Utah Jazz, coach's...
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to avoid...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 89
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 61
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 59
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 55
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 54
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 34
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24