Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Some Monday links to recent LDS Church news, events and issues, as reported by local media elsewhere:
With Monday's announcement that the Indianapolis Indiana Temple to be located in the northern suburb of Carmel, the Indianapolis Star takes a look at the LDS Church, its temples and its steady membership growth in Indiana over the past two decades.
The LDS Church is moving ahead on smaller projects of its Envision Laie project in North Shore area of Oahu, Hawaii. As reported by Honolulu Star-Advertiser, those current smaller projects include turning the site of the demolished Laie Inn into a 220-room Courtyard by Marriott hotel, demolishing and rebuilding improved and increased student housing for BYU-Hawaii students, and a campaign to encourage more tourists visiting the Polynesian Culture Center to rides buses rather than in rental cars.
Two Alabama news sites are examples of how local media outside the Mormon-laden Intermountain West report on local LDS young men being called to serve two-year missions — this Selta Times report and this longer look from the Troy Messenger about two brothers who will be departing in coming months, one for Spain, the other for Bolivia.
Several stories report on public process of getting approval for the construction of local meetinghouses. The Auburn, N.Y., Citizen looks at a proposed LDS meetinghouse to replace the building local members currently use — a converted Catholic Church nunnery. The Forsyth, Ga., News reports on county approval for an LDS meetinghouse where traffic concerns with a neighboring church had caused a temporary snag. And the Aberdeen Press and Journal in Scotland provides updates on a several-year effort to build an LDS meetinghouse in Mintlaw while dropping the Osmond name in the P&J report.
And if you're up to registering for a free subscription to New York's Newsday, you can read about current New York Jets tight end Sione Pouha, formerly of East High and the University of Utah. Pouha speaks of serving his LDS mission in Pittsburgh and returning to the city for last weekend's Jets-Steelers NFL playoff game.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 132
- Rally in support of police also draws... 42
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 23
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands... 8
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail... 7