Officials said Schumer and Alexander were reviewing the list with a goal of eliminating positions with relatively little influence over policy making at federal agencies. The officials who described the talks did so on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss them publicly.
Presidents in both parties have been affected by the current system.
Reid's office said this year that seven of Obama's nominees had awaited confirmation votes since 2009. President George W. Bush had only about half of his political appointees in place at the time of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, nearly eight months after he took office.
Beyond a possible agreement concerning nominees, it is not clear what, if any change the Senate will make in the filibuster rules.
Sens. Tom Udall, D-N.M. and Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., and others have proposed a series of changes to reduce the ability of any minority to delay action by a filibuster, which can only be overcome by 60 votes or more. Democrats accuse Republicans of resorting to the filibuster as a matter of routine in the past few years to slow or defeat Obama's legislative agenda. Republicans counter that Democrats seek to deny them the right to have votes on proposed amendments to legislation, effectively locking them out.
Udall, Merkley and others also want to require any senator seeking to block action to do so openly, rather anonymously.
Senate background on filibuster: http://tinyurl.com/7kww
Senate background on nominations: http://tinyurl.com/9w3sw
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Investigators may have recovered up to 30,000...
- Ford's new F-150 to get 26 mpg, tops among...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage vow not...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 62
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 25
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 16
- Gay marriage issue squarely before high... 15
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14