Officials said Schumer and Alexander were reviewing the list with a goal of eliminating positions with relatively little influence over policy making at federal agencies. The officials who described the talks did so on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss them publicly.
Presidents in both parties have been affected by the current system.
Reid's office said this year that seven of Obama's nominees had awaited confirmation votes since 2009. President George W. Bush had only about half of his political appointees in place at the time of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, nearly eight months after he took office.
Beyond a possible agreement concerning nominees, it is not clear what, if any change the Senate will make in the filibuster rules.
Sens. Tom Udall, D-N.M. and Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., and others have proposed a series of changes to reduce the ability of any minority to delay action by a filibuster, which can only be overcome by 60 votes or more. Democrats accuse Republicans of resorting to the filibuster as a matter of routine in the past few years to slow or defeat Obama's legislative agenda. Republicans counter that Democrats seek to deny them the right to have votes on proposed amendments to legislation, effectively locking them out.
Udall, Merkley and others also want to require any senator seeking to block action to do so openly, rather anonymously.
Senate background on filibuster: http://tinyurl.com/7kww
Senate background on nominations: http://tinyurl.com/9w3sw
- Watch live at the Democratic National Convention
- Farewell to VCRs: Japanese maker to shelve...
- At least 15 killed, dozens injured in knifing...
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- After disputes, Dem stars turn their...
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,...
- Wish granted: Six-year-old boy will be...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 74
- Hillary Clinton promises steady hand in... 56
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 45
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 43
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 41
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 34