Officials said Schumer and Alexander were reviewing the list with a goal of eliminating positions with relatively little influence over policy making at federal agencies. The officials who described the talks did so on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss them publicly.
Presidents in both parties have been affected by the current system.
Reid's office said this year that seven of Obama's nominees had awaited confirmation votes since 2009. President George W. Bush had only about half of his political appointees in place at the time of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, nearly eight months after he took office.
Beyond a possible agreement concerning nominees, it is not clear what, if any change the Senate will make in the filibuster rules.
Sens. Tom Udall, D-N.M. and Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., and others have proposed a series of changes to reduce the ability of any minority to delay action by a filibuster, which can only be overcome by 60 votes or more. Democrats accuse Republicans of resorting to the filibuster as a matter of routine in the past few years to slow or defeat Obama's legislative agenda. Republicans counter that Democrats seek to deny them the right to have votes on proposed amendments to legislation, effectively locking them out.
Udall, Merkley and others also want to require any senator seeking to block action to do so openly, rather anonymously.
Senate background on filibuster: http://tinyurl.com/7kww
Senate background on nominations: http://tinyurl.com/9w3sw
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- US, Arab allies hit IS strongholds in Syria,...
- 'The Lion King' earns record box office
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 13
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 10
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 10
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 9
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 7
- It's not just young people —... 7