Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Politicians may say one thing — but here is what they mean
Utah's political reporters: "Our tireless and courageous coverage prompted important changes to Utah's ethics laws." ("Dang, now that no one gets gifts, expensive meals, or Jazz tickets, what else is there to write about?")
House Majority Leader David Litvack: "Although there are no incoming freshmen Democrats this year, it is fascinating to see the fresh faces on the Republican side." ("Where do they make these guys?! They get more conservative every election!")
Rep. Carl Wimmer: "The Patrick Henry Caucus is ready to fight for conservative values and guns." ("What a great opportunity to consolidate support for my congressional campaign among tea party people.")
Signers of the Utah Compact: "Utah can provide a model for the nation by approving balanced, reasonable immigration reform." ("Please don't embarrass the state with punitive, harsh measures.")
Tea party: "We thank Utah's conservative legislators for sticking up for conservative principles." ("We'll be watching your every move!")
Former governor and current Ambassador to China Jon Huntsman Jr.: "I wish my home state lawmakers well as they grapple with tough issues." ("It's easier to negotiate with the communists than those right-wingers in the Legislature.")
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. E-mail: email@example.com. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Disputes over specialized license plates...
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change...
- My view: Chaffetz named ‘politician of...
- In our opinion: Water, a precious commodity
- Lessons from 'Christmas Carol'
- Letter: Monolingual minorities
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the family put...
- Charles Krauthammer: Democrats use... 78
- In our opinion: Police training should... 45
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- In our opinion: Wood burning ban... 37
- Robert Bennett: More political... 36
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 32