SKorea accepts NKorean proposal for defense talks

By Foster Klug

Associated Press

Published: Friday, Jan. 21 2011 2:26 a.m. MST

Foreign visitors watch and take pictures of the North Korea side at Dora Observation Post in Paju near the border village of the Panmunjom, South Korea, Wednesday, Jan. 19, 2011.

Ahn Young-joon, Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea's acceptance of North Korea's offer of high-level defense talks won't solve the rivals' differences overnight: Suspicion is high on both sides, and Seoul still wants an apology for the sinking of one of its warships.

But after months of enmity that had the Koreas trading threats of war, face-to-face talks would be a breakthrough. The new development came just hours after the leaders of the South's ally, the United States, and the North's ally and benefactor, China, jointly urged the Koreas to improve communication.

The Koreas, however, will have to put aside their considerable military and political animosity for any talks to set up a new round of international negotiations on the long-sought U.S. goal of ending North Korea's nuclear programs.

On Friday, Chun Hae-sung, a spokesman for South Korea's Unification Ministry, said North Korea needs to apologize for the March sinking of the South Korean naval ship Cheonan and for the November shelling of South Korea's Yeonpyeong Island, near waters claimed by both countries.

Lower-level defense talks last year went nowhere because of the Cheonan. A South Korean-led international investigation blamed a North Korean torpedo for the sinking, which killed 46 sailors; Pyongyang denies involvement. The North's Nov. 23 artillery attack on Yeonpyeong Island killed two marines and two civilians and infuriated and shocked many in the South.

Chun said the agenda in any talks should include North Korean assurances that it will take "responsible measures" over the Cheonan and the artillery attack and not provoke further conflict.

Last year's attacks and a current North Korean charm offensive pushing for talks come as leader Kim Jong Il looks to prepare his country for a leadership change, apparently to his youngest son Kim Jong Un. The violence might be linked to an attempt by the younger Kim to display his bravery to North Korea's military and bolster his legitimacy as the next leader.

So far, the North has sent encouraging signals on possible talks.

In a letter to South Korea's defense minister, North Korea's defense chief proposed meeting in early February to ease tensions and "express opinions" about last year's two incidents, the North's official Korean Central News Agency reported Friday.

North Korea has taken "a firm stance to resolve" all pending military issues, including the Cheonan sinking and the island shelling, in the high-level talks, KCNA said. "The Korean peninsula is at the crucial crossroads to war or peace," KCNA said.

The North's defense chief also proposed preliminary meetings in late January to discuss details of the high-level talks.

Defense Ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok told reporters in Seoul that preliminary meetings could be held in mid-February.

The South said it will also propose separate talks with North Korea to verify its commitment to abandoning its nuclear programs. South Korea had rejected earlier North Korean calls for unconditional dialogue as insincere.

The two countries' defense chiefs last met in Pyongyang in November 2007, a month after the second summit between the leaders of their countries.

On Wednesday, President Barack Obama and his Chinese counterpart Hu Jintao, meeting in Washington, stressed the importance of an early resumption of six-nation negotiations on North Korea's nuclear programs.

Next week, the United States is sending a senior diplomat, Deputy Secretary of State James Steinberg, to Seoul, Tokyo and Beijing for talks on the Korean standoff.

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS