CHICAGO — The Dallas Mavericks sent center Alexis Ajinca back to the team's hotel on Thursday as a possible prelude to a trade that would would enable them to sign veteran forward Peja Stojakovic.
Speaking before the Mavericks' game against the Bulls, Dallas head coach Rick Carlisle said, "All I can say this point is that Peja Stojakovic has been waived. We're one of many teams that has interest in him, so we'll see what happens with that."
"Ajinca is not here tonight because he's inactive. We've sent him to the hotel because there is a possibility that he will be traded. ... Nothing has happened yet and I'm not sure anything is going to happen tonight."
Stojakovic reached an agreement on a buyout of his contract with the Toronto Raptors on Wednesday, making him a free agent. Stojakovic was acquired from New Orleans in November and played just two games for the Raptors before being sidelined with a knee injury.
Stojakovic had been earning $15 million in the final year of a five-year contract.
BOBCATS' THOMAS OUT WITH KNEE INJURY: Charlotte Bobcats forward Tyrus Thomas will be sidelined up to two months with a torn meniscus in his left knee.
Tests revealed the injury after Thomas complained of a swollen knee after going through shootaround before Thursday's game against Philadelphia and was a late scratch. The injury is a blow to Charlotte's depth as it aims for one of the final two playoff spots in the Eastern Conference.
The 6-foot-10 Thomas is averaging 11.1 points and 5.8 rebounds in 34 games off the bench this season. Thomas signed a five-year, $40 million contract with Charlotte in the offseason after being acquired from Chicago before last season's trade deadline.
CAMBY SIDELINED BY KNEE SURGERY: Portland Trail Blazers center Marcus Camby had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee and will be sidelined about three weeks.
Camby was averaging 5.9 points and 11.3 rebounds in 39 games this season, all starts. The 6-foot-11 center is in his 15th season in the NBA.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 4: Ranking the...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Branden Bowen commits...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with...
- Pac-12 conference is off to strong start in 2014
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 163
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 112
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 84
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads... 28