Items that I use everyday exist because of Steve Jobs and his Apple Computer company. Steve Jobs and his engineering partner Steve Wozniak developed the first successful personal computer. It forced IBM to develop a PC with Microsoft DOS. Steve put the research of Xerox PARC into production (the mouse and graphical user interface).
Steve competed with Microsoft. If not for that competition, we would still be using DOS 4.0 instead of Windows (a copy of Mac OS).
Apple encouraged using computers in schools in the '80s. Steve Jobs developed PIXAR (computer animation), NEXT (became the Mac OS), iTunes (more successful than CDs), the iPhone (the smart phone standard) and the iPad, which is changing the way people read anything and everything.
In short, Steve Jobs has driven the computer industry on this planet for the last 40 years.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Yes, Virginia, there is a...
- Beverly Willett: National marriage rates in...
- In our opinion: Joy to the World — the...
- Letter: Sharing culpability
- This year's most popular editorials
- Jay Evensen: Fixing Salt Lake's Pioneer Park...
- Letter: High-density housing
- Arthur Cyr: Peace and war at Christmas