House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., was the only top congressional leader to accept an invitation. Many in Congress see China as an economic threat to the U.S. Pelosi also has been an outspoken critic of China's human rights record throughout her career.
At a White House news conference with Obama, Hu punted when asked to comment on the congressional leaders' absence.
"I think President Obama is certainly in a better position to answer that question," he said, drawing laughter from journalists and the U.S. and China officials seated in the East Room.
Obama punted, too.
Others on the guest list: Jon Huntsman, the U.S. ambassador to China, and state dinner uber-veteran Henry Kissinger, the former secretary of state. Kissinger also was at the State Department for a lunch in Hu's honor, the same one where Streisand turned up.
After a fancy morning arrival ceremony for Hu at the White House, Mrs. Obama met with the students at Howard University to frame the day's events — both social and substantive — as an "important opportunity to strengthen ties and deepen bonds of understanding." And she encouraged young Americans to study abroad — something she never did.
The first lady said she and her brother, Craig, were among the first in their family to go to college.
"We were way more focused on getting in, getting through and getting out," she said.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Sexual harassment? Colorado school suspends...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Health care debate about presidential trust,...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 123
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 119
- Space and religion: How believers view... 23
- Health care debate about presidential... 22
- Obama administration will allow green... 17
- The American Dream is still alive for... 10
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 9