NEWARK, N.J. — The megadeal to bring Carmelo Anthony to the New Jersey Nets is dead.
Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov told the team to end trade talks with the Denver Nuggets on Wednesday, saying he was unhappy with how it played out in public, that it took too long, got too expensive and cost the team games.
The Russian billionaire also canceled a planned meeting with Anthony on Thursday and said there was no chance — that's a big nyet — that the trade would resurrected.
"There comes a time when the price is simply too expensive," Prokhorov said in a news conference before Wednesday night's game against Utah. "I have instructed our team to walk away from the deal."
Previously, New Jersey had offered to ship six players and at least two first-round draft picks to Denver in a deal that would have sent Anthony to the Nets along with former Pistons teammates Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton.
Prokhorov decided on Tuesday to end talks with the Nuggets, and general manager Billy King said he informed them via a text message as Prokhorov was speaking on Wednesday.
"Really I am not happy with the way this deal has gone until now," Prokhorov said. "It has taken too long ... and I believe it has cost us several games."
The Nets have lost six straight games, including all four on a just completed West Coast roadtrip that ended in Oakland on Monday.
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 50
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 30
- Ute football team has boots on the... 28