NEWARK, N.J. — The megadeal to bring Carmelo Anthony to the New Jersey Nets is dead.
Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov told the team to end trade talks with the Denver Nuggets on Wednesday, saying he was unhappy with how it played out in public, that it took too long, got too expensive and cost the team games.
The Russian billionaire also canceled a planned meeting with Anthony on Thursday and said there was no chance — that's a big nyet — that the trade would resurrected.
"There comes a time when the price is simply too expensive," Prokhorov said in a news conference before Wednesday night's game against Utah. "I have instructed our team to walk away from the deal."
Previously, New Jersey had offered to ship six players and at least two first-round draft picks to Denver in a deal that would have sent Anthony to the Nets along with former Pistons teammates Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton.
Prokhorov decided on Tuesday to end talks with the Nuggets, and general manager Billy King said he informed them via a text message as Prokhorov was speaking on Wednesday.
"Really I am not happy with the way this deal has gone until now," Prokhorov said. "It has taken too long ... and I believe it has cost us several games."
The Nets have lost six straight games, including all four on a just completed West Coast roadtrip that ended in Oakland on Monday.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25