Don Heupel, Associated Press
BUFFALO, N.Y. — Montreal forward Max Pacioretty traveled home with the Canadiens on Tuesday night following a brief hospital stay after he was struck by a teammate's shot.
Pacioretty joined the team at the airport shortly after a 2-1 overtime loss to the Sabres, Canadiens spokesman Dominick Saillant wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press.
Pacioretty sustained what the team called an upper body injury that led him to be wheeled by stretcher into an ambulance during the first intermission. Conscious, Pacioretty was hooked to an IV and heavily wrapped in blankets as he was transported to a hospital for precautionary reasons.
He was hurt 4:15 into the game while parked in front of the net, where he was struck in the right side by James Wisniewski's shot from the blue line. Pacioretty skated away holding his right arm before falling to his knees at the right circle. He was attended to by trainers and had difficulty skating off the ice.
Less than a minute earlier, the Canadiens lost forward Michael Cammalleri to what the team called an upper body injury. Cammalleri did not return after he was crosschecked to the back of the neck by Sabres defenseman Mike Weber.
It happened just after Cammalleri was set up to the right of the net. He got off a weak shot, which was stopped by goalie Ryan Miller. Cammalleri had just turned to chase down the rebound when he was hit from behind. TSN reported that Cammalleri — the Canadiens' second-leading scorer this season — had separated his shoulder.
Coach Jacques Martin had no update on the status of his players following the game.
Weber was issued a 2-minute minor penalty.
The Sabres lost forward Drew Stafford in the first period to what coach Lindy Ruff called a groin injury.
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18