Don Heupel, Associated Press
BUFFALO, N.Y. — Montreal forward Max Pacioretty traveled home with the Canadiens on Tuesday night following a brief hospital stay after he was struck by a teammate's shot.
Pacioretty joined the team at the airport shortly after a 2-1 overtime loss to the Sabres, Canadiens spokesman Dominick Saillant wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press.
Pacioretty sustained what the team called an upper body injury that led him to be wheeled by stretcher into an ambulance during the first intermission. Conscious, Pacioretty was hooked to an IV and heavily wrapped in blankets as he was transported to a hospital for precautionary reasons.
He was hurt 4:15 into the game while parked in front of the net, where he was struck in the right side by James Wisniewski's shot from the blue line. Pacioretty skated away holding his right arm before falling to his knees at the right circle. He was attended to by trainers and had difficulty skating off the ice.
Less than a minute earlier, the Canadiens lost forward Michael Cammalleri to what the team called an upper body injury. Cammalleri did not return after he was crosschecked to the back of the neck by Sabres defenseman Mike Weber.
It happened just after Cammalleri was set up to the right of the net. He got off a weak shot, which was stopped by goalie Ryan Miller. Cammalleri had just turned to chase down the rebound when he was hit from behind. TSN reported that Cammalleri — the Canadiens' second-leading scorer this season — had separated his shoulder.
Coach Jacques Martin had no update on the status of his players following the game.
Weber was issued a 2-minute minor penalty.
The Sabres lost forward Drew Stafford in the first period to what coach Lindy Ruff called a groin injury.
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 37
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28