Don Heupel, Associated Press
BUFFALO, N.Y. — Montreal forward Max Pacioretty traveled home with the Canadiens on Tuesday night following a brief hospital stay after he was struck by a teammate's shot.
Pacioretty joined the team at the airport shortly after a 2-1 overtime loss to the Sabres, Canadiens spokesman Dominick Saillant wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press.
Pacioretty sustained what the team called an upper body injury that led him to be wheeled by stretcher into an ambulance during the first intermission. Conscious, Pacioretty was hooked to an IV and heavily wrapped in blankets as he was transported to a hospital for precautionary reasons.
He was hurt 4:15 into the game while parked in front of the net, where he was struck in the right side by James Wisniewski's shot from the blue line. Pacioretty skated away holding his right arm before falling to his knees at the right circle. He was attended to by trainers and had difficulty skating off the ice.
Less than a minute earlier, the Canadiens lost forward Michael Cammalleri to what the team called an upper body injury. Cammalleri did not return after he was crosschecked to the back of the neck by Sabres defenseman Mike Weber.
It happened just after Cammalleri was set up to the right of the net. He got off a weak shot, which was stopped by goalie Ryan Miller. Cammalleri had just turned to chase down the rebound when he was hit from behind. TSN reported that Cammalleri — the Canadiens' second-leading scorer this season — had separated his shoulder.
Coach Jacques Martin had no update on the status of his players following the game.
Weber was issued a 2-minute minor penalty.
The Sabres lost forward Drew Stafford in the first period to what coach Lindy Ruff called a groin injury.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45