PROVO — The restructuring of BYU's offensive coaching staff continued Tuesday when Patrick Higgins took a job as the wide receivers coach at Purdue.
Higgins had spent six years coaching the outside receivers, including standouts Austin Collie and Todd Watkins, for the Cougars.
"I appreciate the work that Coach Higgins has done to help our program over the past six seasons," BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall said in a statement. "I am particularly grateful to Patrick for his contributions to our successful game management, where his head coaching experience proved valuable in critical situations."
Since the season ended, Robert Anae has stepped down from his post as offensive coordinator and has since been hired by Arizona. Quarterbacks coach Brandon Doman has been promoted to offensive coordinator and he will continue to coach the quarterbacks. Over the weekend, Mendenhall hired Joe DuPaix away from Navy to join the offensive staff.
Longtime assistant head coach and running backs coach Lance Reynolds is expected to remain with the Cougars. Meanwhile, the status of offensive line coach Mark Weber is still unknown.
With Higgins moving on, a rumored replacement is former BYU receiver Ben Cahoon, who played for the Cougars in 1996-97. Cahoon has starred in the Canadian Football League for 13 seasons and is the league's all-time receptions leader. There are reports that he may be retiring.
Cahoon has worked with Cougar receivers during the offseason and he was a frequent visitor at spring practices last year.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41