Ravell Call, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — The Stockton Thunder broke a 3-3 tie with 2:08 left in regulation and added two late empty-net goals to defeat the Utah Grizzlies 6-3 on Monday night at Maverik Center.
"We have to sustain our momentum and right now we've struggled to sustain it," said Utah assistant coach Leigh Mendelson. "Stockton is a team that works extremely hard and that's why they were able to sustain their momentum."
Stockton took a 1-0 lead just 1:45 in, but Utah responded 27 seconds later as Dave Schulz passed a puck that was redirected home by Hugo Carpentier for his sixth goal of the year. Brett Parnham picked up an assist. Utah made it 2-1 at 8:56 of the second period as Tim Crowder and Carpentier fed Brett Parnham in front for his 11th goal of the season.
The Grizzlies scored just 17 seconds into the second period as Kevin Deeth spun around knocking in a rebound on a Matt Clarke shot. Tom May got the puck up ice quickly to Clarke to start the rush. The Thunder tied things up at the second intermission with a power-play goal.
The third period stayed tied until Ryan Constant fired in a shot through traffic five-on-five as Stockton held the Utah end.
Utah opens a three-game road trip Wednesday in Idaho.
The Grizzlies return home Friday, January 28 with Ontario. It is Maverik Night, with all tickets in the arena available for $5 when fans present a receipt from a Maverik store.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- BYU seeks first conference victory when...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 39
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong... 23
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 22
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15