HAYLI SHURTZ, Alta, basketball
This senior leads her team by doing all of the things a team needs to win but that don't necessarily earn individual accolades.
"She works so hard, and that pushes other people to work really hard," said Hawks head coach Kristi Jensen. "She averages eight or nine assists; she just knows how to find people. She sees the floor well, and she's an all-around really good defender. Basically she does a lot of the things that don't get written up in the paper."
She pushes herself just as hard off the court, maintaining a 4.0, and she is the starting catcher for the softball team.
NICK EMERY, Lone Peak, basketball
Heading into the biggest contest in his young career against American Fork, Emery came out cold as ice – going 0-8 in the first half. However, the sophomore did what all great shooters do – he found a way to contribute. He did so by sinking seven free throws to keep his team within one point. The second half was a much different story when Emery pulled up from 25 feet and sank a momentum-changing 3-pointer on his first attempt out of the locker room. He finished with a game-high 19 points to help his team improve to 12-1. Thus far, he's averaging 22 points per contest and has hit 35 3-pointers. The 6-foot-1 guard is also averaging solid numbers in both rebound and assist categories.
To nominate a prep athlete of the week, contact prep editor James Edward at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0