Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah senior forward Jay Watkins is sidelined indefinitely for medical reasons, head coach Jim Boylen announced Monday evening.
"After talking with Jay, we feel it is in his best interest to sit him out of all basketball-related activities until he is completely healthy," Boylen said in a released statement. "Jay will remain an important part of our team. He will still be an active leader and our team captain and we hope he can be back in a Utah uniform later this season."
Watkins, who averages 8.7 points and 4.8 rebounds per game, has missed five games (including the past three) this season because of back spasms.
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26