Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah senior forward Jay Watkins is sidelined indefinitely for medical reasons, head coach Jim Boylen announced Monday evening.
"After talking with Jay, we feel it is in his best interest to sit him out of all basketball-related activities until he is completely healthy," Boylen said in a released statement. "Jay will remain an important part of our team. He will still be an active leader and our team captain and we hope he can be back in a Utah uniform later this season."
Watkins, who averages 8.7 points and 4.8 rebounds per game, has missed five games (including the past three) this season because of back spasms.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33