Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah senior forward Jay Watkins is sidelined indefinitely for medical reasons, head coach Jim Boylen announced Monday evening.
"After talking with Jay, we feel it is in his best interest to sit him out of all basketball-related activities until he is completely healthy," Boylen said in a released statement. "Jay will remain an important part of our team. He will still be an active leader and our team captain and we hope he can be back in a Utah uniform later this season."
Watkins, who averages 8.7 points and 4.8 rebounds per game, has missed five games (including the past three) this season because of back spasms.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18