Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah senior forward Jay Watkins is sidelined indefinitely for medical reasons, head coach Jim Boylen announced Monday evening.
"After talking with Jay, we feel it is in his best interest to sit him out of all basketball-related activities until he is completely healthy," Boylen said in a released statement. "Jay will remain an important part of our team. He will still be an active leader and our team captain and we hope he can be back in a Utah uniform later this season."
Watkins, who averages 8.7 points and 4.8 rebounds per game, has missed five games (including the past three) this season because of back spasms.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14