Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah senior forward Jay Watkins is sidelined indefinitely for medical reasons, head coach Jim Boylen announced Monday evening.
"After talking with Jay, we feel it is in his best interest to sit him out of all basketball-related activities until he is completely healthy," Boylen said in a released statement. "Jay will remain an important part of our team. He will still be an active leader and our team captain and we hope he can be back in a Utah uniform later this season."
Watkins, who averages 8.7 points and 4.8 rebounds per game, has missed five games (including the past three) this season because of back spasms.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19