Provided by Sheri Wilson
KINGSTON, Jamaica — An LDS Church missionary was accidentally shot and killed in stray crossfire Monday while serving in his native country of Jamaica.
Elder Jermaine Luther Walker, from the town of Savannah La Mar and serving in the Jamaica Kingston Mission, was confirmed as the fatality by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
According to church spokesman Scott Trotter, Walker and seven other missionaries were returning to their apartments after an activity on their "preparation day," an "off-day" for Mormon missionaries from regular proselytizing.
The van was caught in crossfire as local police were pursuing another vehicle. After Walker was shot, he was immediately driven to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
"Although shaken, the other missionaries in the van were reported in good condition," Trotter said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Elder Walker's family and all who knew this fine young man."
In initial reports from the LDS Church, Walker was incorrectly identified as hailing from the capital city of Kingston.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16