Provided by Sheri Wilson
KINGSTON, Jamaica — An LDS Church missionary was accidentally shot and killed in stray crossfire Monday while serving in his native country of Jamaica.
Elder Jermaine Luther Walker, from the town of Savannah La Mar and serving in the Jamaica Kingston Mission, was confirmed as the fatality by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
According to church spokesman Scott Trotter, Walker and seven other missionaries were returning to their apartments after an activity on their "preparation day," an "off-day" for Mormon missionaries from regular proselytizing.
The van was caught in crossfire as local police were pursuing another vehicle. After Walker was shot, he was immediately driven to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
"Although shaken, the other missionaries in the van were reported in good condition," Trotter said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Elder Walker's family and all who knew this fine young man."
In initial reports from the LDS Church, Walker was incorrectly identified as hailing from the capital city of Kingston.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- What to do after the presents are opened?...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Utah native served with main character in...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Christmas I Remember Best: From WWII to...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 122
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 12
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9