Provided by Sheri Wilson
KINGSTON, Jamaica — An LDS Church missionary was accidentally shot and killed in stray crossfire Monday while serving in his native country of Jamaica.
Elder Jermaine Luther Walker, from the town of Savannah La Mar and serving in the Jamaica Kingston Mission, was confirmed as the fatality by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
According to church spokesman Scott Trotter, Walker and seven other missionaries were returning to their apartments after an activity on their "preparation day," an "off-day" for Mormon missionaries from regular proselytizing.
The van was caught in crossfire as local police were pursuing another vehicle. After Walker was shot, he was immediately driven to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
"Although shaken, the other missionaries in the van were reported in good condition," Trotter said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Elder Walker's family and all who knew this fine young man."
In initial reports from the LDS Church, Walker was incorrectly identified as hailing from the capital city of Kingston.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Utah in top 10 for visitor spending at...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 42
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16