Provided by Sheri Wilson
KINGSTON, Jamaica — An LDS Church missionary was accidentally shot and killed in stray crossfire Monday while serving in his native country of Jamaica.
Elder Jermaine Luther Walker, from the town of Savannah La Mar and serving in the Jamaica Kingston Mission, was confirmed as the fatality by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
According to church spokesman Scott Trotter, Walker and seven other missionaries were returning to their apartments after an activity on their "preparation day," an "off-day" for Mormon missionaries from regular proselytizing.
The van was caught in crossfire as local police were pursuing another vehicle. After Walker was shot, he was immediately driven to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
"Although shaken, the other missionaries in the van were reported in good condition," Trotter said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Elder Walker's family and all who knew this fine young man."
In initial reports from the LDS Church, Walker was incorrectly identified as hailing from the capital city of Kingston.
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- 'One drink, one time': New research shows...
- Mia Love paying back money spent on...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 52
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 47
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 36
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 34
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 18
- Mia Love paying back money spent on... 17
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15