Provided by Sheri Wilson
KINGSTON, Jamaica — An LDS Church missionary was accidentally shot and killed in stray crossfire Monday while serving in his native country of Jamaica.
Elder Jermaine Luther Walker, from the town of Savannah La Mar and serving in the Jamaica Kingston Mission, was confirmed as the fatality by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
According to church spokesman Scott Trotter, Walker and seven other missionaries were returning to their apartments after an activity on their "preparation day," an "off-day" for Mormon missionaries from regular proselytizing.
The van was caught in crossfire as local police were pursuing another vehicle. After Walker was shot, he was immediately driven to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
"Although shaken, the other missionaries in the van were reported in good condition," Trotter said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Elder Walker's family and all who knew this fine young man."
In initial reports from the LDS Church, Walker was incorrectly identified as hailing from the capital city of Kingston.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family tradition...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows 'deep...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 21
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9