DALLAS — Rob Ryan is headed to Dallas and already has another family reunion lined up.
Ryan has agreed to become the Dallas Cowboys' defensive coordinator, two people with direct knowledge of the hire told The Associated Press on Sunday.
Ryan is the son of former NFL head coach Buddy Ryan and the brother of New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan. The Cowboys are scheduled to face the Jets next season.
The people spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the team had not announced the move.
Ryan became the Cleveland Browns' defensive coordinator in 2009, but his future there was uncertain after the team fired coach Eric Mangini and hired Pat Shurmur last week. Ryan also interviewed for the head coaching job with the Carolina Panthers, who hired Ron Rivera.
Under Ryan, the Browns defense finished 20th in points allowed per game (20.8) and 22nd in yards allowed (350.1). Cleveland went 5-11 for the second consecutive season, leading to Mangini's dismissal.
Wade Phillips served as Dallas' head coach and defensive coordinator before he was fired in November. Offensive coordinator Jason Garrett was promoted to interim coach and defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni replaced Phillips as coordinator.
Owner Jerry Jones lifted the interim tag from Garrett's title on Jan. 6 and Pasqualoni left last week to become the head coach at the University of Connecticut.
Ryan, 48, played college ball at Southwestern Oklahoma State and got his first pro job when he joined his father's staff in Arizona as defensive backs coach. He was Oakland's defensive coordinator from 2004-08 before moving to Cleveland.
With Ryan running the defense, the Browns lost 26-20 to his brother's Jets in overtime on Nov. 14. The run-up to the game included amusing jabs between the brothers making fun of each other's diets and wardrobes.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 59
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 39
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34