SHREVEPORT, La. — Kyle Davis scored a career-high 21 points and pulled down 14 rebounds to lead Southern Utah over Centenary 88-75 on Saturday night, extending the nation's longest NCAA Division I losing streak to 24 games.
The Thunderbirds (5-12, 2-5 Summit League) led 13-2 early thanks to nine quick points from Matt Massey. Southern Utah stretched its lead to 46-32 on a 19-of-29 shooting effort in the opening half (65.5 percent).
Ryan Brimley added 18 points on 10-of-10 shooting from the free-throw line and Massey finished with 13 for the Thunderbirds, who made 29-of-34 free throw attempts (85.3 percent). Their final 19 points of the game came from the line.
"I was proud of the way our guys played hard and with intensity," SUU coach Roger Reid said. "We stepped up at the free throw line when it counted and hit 29-of-34, including all those free throws down the stretch; that was a sign of mental toughness, which was nice to see."
The teams combined for 71 free throws.
The Gentlemen (0-19, 0-8) scored 29 points off 28 turnovers, but never led after the 19:47-mark of the opening half.
Maxx Nakwaasah scored 22 points and Jeron Trotman added 16 for Centenary, which currently holds the longest active losing streak in Division I men's basketball (24).
"I was extremely impressed with the way (Centenary) played tonight," Reid said. "They could have folded many times, but they continued to play hard, they continued to scrap, they continued to play defense and they never ever went away. If they keep playing like that they're going to have some success."
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 120
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 66
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 49
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 28