SHREVEPORT, La. — Kyle Davis scored a career-high 21 points and pulled down 14 rebounds to lead Southern Utah over Centenary 88-75 on Saturday night, extending the nation's longest NCAA Division I losing streak to 24 games.
The Thunderbirds (5-12, 2-5 Summit League) led 13-2 early thanks to nine quick points from Matt Massey. Southern Utah stretched its lead to 46-32 on a 19-of-29 shooting effort in the opening half (65.5 percent).
Ryan Brimley added 18 points on 10-of-10 shooting from the free-throw line and Massey finished with 13 for the Thunderbirds, who made 29-of-34 free throw attempts (85.3 percent). Their final 19 points of the game came from the line.
"I was proud of the way our guys played hard and with intensity," SUU coach Roger Reid said. "We stepped up at the free throw line when it counted and hit 29-of-34, including all those free throws down the stretch; that was a sign of mental toughness, which was nice to see."
The teams combined for 71 free throws.
The Gentlemen (0-19, 0-8) scored 29 points off 28 turnovers, but never led after the 19:47-mark of the opening half.
Maxx Nakwaasah scored 22 points and Jeron Trotman added 16 for Centenary, which currently holds the longest active losing streak in Division I men's basketball (24).
"I was extremely impressed with the way (Centenary) played tonight," Reid said. "They could have folded many times, but they continued to play hard, they continued to scrap, they continued to play defense and they never ever went away. If they keep playing like that they're going to have some success."
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 28