OGDEN — Never mind that Idaho State has lost 19 straight road games, has a poor overall record (5-11) and was picked to take eighth-place in the Big Sky Conference.
It's usually a tough battle when Weber State plays the Bengals in any sport, and the Wildcats are expecting another one in the Dee Events Center tonight.
"It should be a nice fight," said Wildcats forward Byron Fulton. "It's a brawl every year pretty much, especially when we go down there. They're going to want to come up here and beat us on our home court."
The "want" will be there for Idaho State tonight, but the "can" is certainly in question. Weber State has defeated the Bengals four straight times. Idaho State's lone conference win this season came in an overtime victory over Sacramento State — a team the Wildcats had no trouble with on Thursday.
"I'm looking forward to this game," said Weber State guard Lindsey Hughey. "It's a good rivalry game."
The Bengals are coming off a 57-37 loss to league-leading Northern Colorado on Thursday. They shot 25 percent and played the second half without leading scorer Broderick Gilchrest, who sprained his ankle against the Bears.
Weber State, meanwhile, is hitting on all cylinders. The Wildcats have adjusted to the loss of star player Damian Lillard, and have a handful of athletes that can lead the team in scoring on a given night. On Thursday, it was Hughey pouring in a career-high 27 points. Fulton had 17 points, and Kyle Bullinger continues to either record double-doubles or come close to them.
"We all know that Damian is our leading scorer and with him out, the points have to come from somewhere, so we all try to step up and do our part, do a little more than we usually do," Hughey said.
After tonight's game, the Wildcats will hit the road again next week for games against Portland State and Northern Colorado.
Wildcats on the air
Idaho State (5-11, 1-3) at Weber State (8-7, 2-2)
Today, 7 p.m.
TV: none Radio: 1430 AM
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29