CEDAR CITY — Former Southern Utah University Thunderbird Keli'i Zablan has signed a minor league contract to play for the Seattle Mariners. Zablan, a former infielder turned pitcher, impressed scouts at an invite-only tryout held at the Mariners spring training complex in Peoria, Ariz.
Zablan spent last summer pitching for the River City Rascals, an independent team in the Frontier League. The right-hander was named Rookie of the Year after posting a 2-1 record with a 3.15 ERA in 28 appearances.
—Deseret News staff and wire reports
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 43
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 36