Utah Utes women's basketball: Iwalani Rodrigues is turning it around in classroom
"The basketball court is easy for her, it's the part that wasn't easy all of her life that she's had to learn to compete at and take seriously every day."
Rodrigues is now in her second season playing for the Utes and, while it took her some time to get back in the flow of playing basketball after the year off, she is now excelling both on and off the court.
"She had a terrible shooting percentage from the 3-point line last year (14.7 percent)," Levrets said. "But in practice, you could come in and watch her shoot for half an hour and she might miss five shots. One night it just turned on and now all of those shots are going in. She's played really well; she's the player we knew she was going to be."
Rodrigues scored a career-high 31 points against Westminster earlier this season and has scored in double-digits every game since. Her 13-for-13 performance from behind the arc was one shy of tying an NCAA record, and her 48.4-percent shooting from 3-point range is currently a MWC-best and second in the NCAA.
More importantly, however, Rodrigues is moving closer to her goal of earning a degree in communications and finding a career in a sports-related field.
"She hasn't had everything handed to her, it hasn't just been easy, and I have a soft spot in my heart for those kinds of kids," Levrets said.
"The thing about her, though, is the minute you spend more than five minutes with her, you love her. The room lights up when she walks into it. You can't help but like her and want her to succeed. She's going to get a degree from here some day, and it's going to be a great thing."
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39