Utah Utes football: Utes hire Tim Davis, Norm Chow still at UCLA — for now
"Mike and I are old friends and we've had conversations and he's interested in this wide receiver position. But it hasn't been determined in what role he'd coach and how that would all get pieced together," Neuheisel explained in his interview with the Register. "And he's still got a contract with the 49ers that he has to make sure he protects himself and his family. Those are things that cause this to be very, very premature."
Neuheisel added that Johnson has been a coordinator and is capable of doing the job. However, he said it's still too early to tell how roles and responsibilities would be delegated if Johnson joins the UCLA staff.
"Mike is not hired here. He still has a lot of other offers out there," Neuheisel continued. "And Norm Chow is still on our staff — absolutely."
The Los Angeles Times reported that Chow's financial situation likely needs to be resolved first before Johnson's possible involvement is solidified.
Chow signed a two-year contract extension last summer that is reportedly worth $1 million. According to the Times, Chow will not receive the balance of the deal if he quits. If he is fired, though, he'll receive the full amount. Should Chow take another job, however, the amount of his new deal will be subtracted from what he is due by UCLA.
The newspaper also reported that the Bruins and Chow are expected to work on a settlement. Negotiations, though, could go into next week.
Messages to Whittingham and Chow seeking comment Thursday were not immediately returned.
Aaron Roderick and Dave Schramm are currently serving as Utah's co-offensive coordinators.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19