The world's busiest airport was essentially deserted for a second day as few flights made it in and out of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. More than 2,000 flights were canceled Monday and another 1,500 were canceled Tuesday, airline officials said.
Many school districts — particularly those in metro Atlanta — were closed again Tuesday and some were already making plans to be closed Wednesday.
Many colleges were closed Tuesday, too, including the University of Georgia, Georgia State University, Georgia Tech and Kennesaw State University.
The Georgia Board of Regents canceled its monthly meeting Wednesday, and the state Board of Education delayed its meeting until Thursday. The Georgia Supreme Court was closed Tuesday for the second day in a row.
Georgia's new governor initially was to deliver his first State of the State address to a joint session of the state Legislature at 11 a.m. Wednesday. That's now been pushed back to 2 p.m. due to the weather, he said.
Deal had to move his inaugural ceremony inside on Monday because of the snowstorm, and canceled a gala celebration.
The Legislature adjourned after convening Monday during the storm. The General Assembly is required by the state constitution to start the legislative session on the second Monday in January.
Some residents didn't heed warnings to stay off the roads.
David Williams chipped furiously Tuesday at inch-thick gray ice around the tires of his GMC Yukon. He had to walk a mile home to get a shovel and then back to a breakfast spot in Atlanta's Candler Park neighborhood after his SUV got stuck in the parking lot.
"I'm starting to go stir crazy. That's the reason I went out," the 47-year-old accountant said. "I thought I'd go get some breakfast. I thought, 'How bad can it be to drive a mile?' Now I wish I'd walked."
Associated Press writers Kate Brumback, Mike Stewart, David Goldman, Don Schanche Jr. and Errin Haines in Atlanta contributed to this report.
- Police: 2 students, both 15-year-old girls,...
- Clinton, Sanders clash over minorities, money...
- Patient strategy pays off for FBI in ending...
- Teen who killed 5 family members to be...
- Punch, counterpunch: GOP hopefuls bare...
- IMAX film 'National Parks Adventure'...
- Riot at prison in northern Mexico leaves 49...
- Obama recites love poem to wife on national...
- Obama sends Congress record $4.1... 29
- Trump, Sanders victorious in New... 27
- Clinton, Sanders clash over minorities,... 27
- Exit polls: Dems trust Sanders more... 23
- But is she honest? Caring? Clinton... 23
- FBI says it has surrounded last... 23
- Last occupiers of Oregon wildlife... 19
- Obama: 'strange things' happen when... 16