Morry Gash, Associated Press
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Auburn coach Gene Chizik says the time to savor the national title has already "expired."
Chizik said Tuesday morning that it's time to get back to work following a 22-19 victory over Oregon that secured the Tigers' first national championship since 1957. He says the program's foundation is still being built and it's time to "start all over."
Auburn loses 23 seniors from a team that went 14-0 and captured nine comeback victories. The two biggest stars, quarterback Cam Newton and defensive tackle Nick Fairley, are juniors weighing a potential jump into the NFL draft.
Chizik called Newton "probably the most competitive guy I've ever been around." The Heisman Trophy winner is set to appear on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" on Tuesday evening.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34