Charlie Riedel, Associated Press
GLENDALE, Ariz. — Nick Fairley lived up to his reputation in the BCS championship game, both good and bad.
Dirty, dominant. Maybe both.
The All-American defensive tackle was all unblockable at times, yes. He also got a personal foul in No. 1 Auburn's 22-19 victory over No. 2 Oregon in Monday night's BCS championship game.
During one sequence in the third quarter, Fairley was penalized for twisting an Oregon player's helmet. He also jarred the ball loose from quarterback Darron Thomas with a hard hit from behind and had a sack.
Oregon didn't fare any better than SEC offenses against the junior college transfer who went from mostly unknown to the Lombardi Award winner and a coveted NFL prospect.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19