Rep. Jason Chaffetz plans to carry gun after Tucson shooting
In response to the weekend shooting of Rep. Gabriell Giffords, D-Ariz., Utah representative Jason Chaffetz is reevaluating his own security when visiting his home district.
According to Politico, Chaffetz plans to carry his gun in his home district for protection. USA Today also reports that Chaffetz, who has a concealed carry permit, intends to pursue whether U.S. marshals who protect federal judges can be used in the same way for Congress.
In a Fox News interview Chaffetz calls the security in his home district a mixed bag, and said he has asked law enforcement officers in his district to enhance safety at his public appearances.
Government leaders are reportedly also taking other actions in response to the shooting.
USA Today reports Rep. Robert Brady, D-Pa., plans to introduce a bill making it a criminal offense to threaten a member of Congress. According to The New York Times, Brady also will introduce a bill to ban symbols like the campaign cross-hair map.
CBS News reports Capitol Police held a conference call with House lawmakers on Sunday afternoon, and the House Sergeant at Arms, Capitol Police and FBI will hold a security briefing for members of the House on Wednesday.
Washington Post columnist Ezra Klein warned Sunday that while the tragedy in Tucson shouldnt be minimized, the response should not be an overreaction to the event.
I think one way to pay tribute to those who died or were harmed in the shooting is to do as they did and attend your congresspersons next community meeting, Klein wrote. Making community meetings more difficult and politicians more physically distant from their constituents would be giving something important away, and its not clear that wed gain any real safety or security in return.
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- Salt Lake man killed, 3 others injured in...
- 2 Kearns men not wearing seat belts killed in...
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 73
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17