NEWARK, N.J. — The Nets are closing in on a deal to bring Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey.
Talks on a three-team trade with the Denver Nuggets and Detroit Pistons are "advancing," a person with knowledge of the discussions told The Associated Press on Sunday.
The trade would reunite Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton in New Jersey along with Anthony, the person said on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to publicly discuss the talks.
Although there has been progress, the person said there are potential roadblocks.
The deal would fall apart if Anthony refused to sign a three-year, $65 million contract extension with the Nets. Billups also has said he would be reluctant to leave Denver.
Anthony refused to discuss a potential deal before the Nuggets played New Orleans in Denver on Sunday night.
The Nets were close to acquiring Anthony during the preseason, but a four-team deal that included Utah and Charlotte fell through. Talks progressed recently with the inclusion of Detroit.
The Nets would send rookie power forward Derrick Favors, point guard Devin Harris and others to Denver in the three-team deal that would get them Anthony, Billups, Hamilton, Shelden Williams and Terrico White, who is injured.
The Pistons would get veteran Troy Murphy and center Johan Petro. Murphy has a nearly $12 million contract that will expire after this season.
Anthony can become a free agent next summer. He has refused to sign the contract extension the Nuggets offered him last summer.
Billups and Hamilton were the starting backcourt for the Pistons team that won the 2004 NBA title and remained teammates until Detroit traded Billups to his hometown club for Allen Iverson.
- Obama shows his funny side while promoting...
- How expensive is your ego?
- Europe: You can't use the name Parmesan if...
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see their...
- 'A treasured tradition:' KSL Radiothon...
- Commuter rail travel increased from 2012 to...
- Eat a cookie, help a child: Chick-fil-A...
- For women, lower grades might mean more money
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Obama shows his funny side while... 18
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 16
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Commuter rail travel increased from... 7
- Randy Shumway: China is a vital... 4
- For women, lower grades might mean more... 2
- Utah employers who hire homeless may... 1