Nfl Photos, Nfl
KANSAS CITY — With an ailing Dwayne Bowe uncertain for the Kansas City's first-round playoff game Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens, the Chiefs signed former Utah State wide receiver Kevin Curtis as insurance.
Curtis reported to Chiefs camp and has been catching balls from Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel in preparation for Sunday's game — the first home playoff game for the Chiefs since the 2003 season.
Curtis, 32, played two games for the Dolphins earlier this season after undergoing treatment for testicular cancer. Prior to that, Curtis logged four seasons with the St. Louis Rams (2003-06) before moving onto the Eagles (2007-09), where he enjoyed great success. Curtis is a former Bingham High School player who went on to star collegiately at Utah State.
"(Curtis) knows this system," Chiefs coach Todd Haley told the Kansas City Star. "What they're running down there in Miami is very similar … so that's an edge. That will give him a chance to come in and get him in the mix. He's got some mileage on the tire but it looks like he's done a good job of keeping himself in shape."
Said Curtis, "I'll be brought up to speed and I'm preparing to play. I'm ready to do whatever I'm asked, whatever that may be. I'm not here to just come in and enjoy the show. I'm here to learn the playbook and if called upon, I'll be ready to go."
After sitting out Wednesday's practice due to illness, Bowe was back in pads for Thursday's workout.
Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters, however, who also missed Wednesday's practice for health reasons, remained sidelined for Thursday's practice and his status is unknown for the playoff opener.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29