Nfl Photos, Nfl
KANSAS CITY — With an ailing Dwayne Bowe uncertain for the Kansas City's first-round playoff game Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens, the Chiefs signed former Utah State wide receiver Kevin Curtis as insurance.
Curtis reported to Chiefs camp and has been catching balls from Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel in preparation for Sunday's game — the first home playoff game for the Chiefs since the 2003 season.
Curtis, 32, played two games for the Dolphins earlier this season after undergoing treatment for testicular cancer. Prior to that, Curtis logged four seasons with the St. Louis Rams (2003-06) before moving onto the Eagles (2007-09), where he enjoyed great success. Curtis is a former Bingham High School player who went on to star collegiately at Utah State.
"(Curtis) knows this system," Chiefs coach Todd Haley told the Kansas City Star. "What they're running down there in Miami is very similar … so that's an edge. That will give him a chance to come in and get him in the mix. He's got some mileage on the tire but it looks like he's done a good job of keeping himself in shape."
Said Curtis, "I'll be brought up to speed and I'm preparing to play. I'm ready to do whatever I'm asked, whatever that may be. I'm not here to just come in and enjoy the show. I'm here to learn the playbook and if called upon, I'll be ready to go."
After sitting out Wednesday's practice due to illness, Bowe was back in pads for Thursday's workout.
Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters, however, who also missed Wednesday's practice for health reasons, remained sidelined for Thursday's practice and his status is unknown for the playoff opener.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Living the dream: Controlled hoarding for a...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 121
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade... 11