Utah Jazz: Jeremy Evans likely to get a guaranteed contract
SALT LAKE CITY — Jeremy Evans is well aware what Jan. 10 means to both his bank account and his position on the Utah Jazz.
That's the day nonguaranteed contracts become guaranteed for the remainder of the NBA season.
"I'm not that worried," Evans said. "I've played pretty hard. It's their decision."
The rookie needn't lose any sleep before Monday.
Barring unforeseen wackiness, a source confirmed that the impressive athlete and second-round draft pick will be a full-contract-carrying member of the Jazz come Jan. 11.
After referring personnel questions to Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor, coach Jerry Sloan admitted he's become quite fond of the bouncy Western Kentucky product.
"We'd hate like the devil to lose him," Sloan said of Evans.
"You can want guys to get better," the Hall of Fame coach added, "but he's worked and done the work to try to make himself better. He's a wonderful guy to be around every day and I wish there was more time to get him out there."
Without committing that Evans will have his contract guaranteed, O'Connor also spoke highly of the 6-foot-9 forward. The 23-year-old alley-oop expert, who stands to make the rookie minimum of $473,604, has averaged 2.9 points and 1.3 rebounds this season.
"I don't want to say it's an absolute no-brainer. You never know what's going to happen," O'Connor said. "But he's certainly done a terrific job for us and we'd like to keep him."
The 12 other Jazz players have guaranteed contracts.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28