High school wrestling: Wasatch wrestler suffers serious neck injury
HEBER CITY — During a high school wrestling practice on Tuesday at Wasatch High School, a member of the Wasps' program sustained a serious neck injury after attempting a wrestling-related move.
The injured wrestler, whose name has yet to be released to the public, was coming from the down position and attempted to stand up, but was returned to the mat by his practice partner. When the young man made contact with the mat in an awkward position, he suffered the neck injury that was immediately reported to the coaches, who attempted to stabilize him at that point in time.
Shortly after the injury occurred, the Wasatch High athletic trainer arrived on the scene and remained with the wrestler until paramedics transported him by ambulance to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, where he underwent immediate emergency surgery.
"Right now, he's still in intensive care and we're not sure what the prognosis is going to be in the near future," said Wasatch coach Wade Discher. "So I guess I'd rather not comment right now out of respect for the family."
Wasatch County School District Superintendent Terry E. Shoemaker released the following statement on Wednesday afternoon to the Deseret News: "I believe I speak for the entire Wasatch Community when I say that we wish to express our deep concern for the welfare of this young man, his family, and his wrestling teammates. Our prayers are for a speedy recovery."
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- BYU football receives commitment from Olympus...
- High school softball: 2A All-State Team
- High school softball: 4A All-State Team
- High school softball: 5A All-State Team
- High school softball: 3A All-State Team
- Ms. Softball: West junior Breah Ava leads the...
- Softball MVPs approached leadership different...
- BYU football receives commitment from... 67
- High school softball: A closer look at... 0
- High school softball: 2A All-State Team 0
- High school softball: 4A All-State Team 0
- High school softball: 5A All-State Team 0
- High school softball: 3A All-State Team 0
- Ms. Softball: West junior Breah Ava... 0
- Softball MVPs approached leadership... 0