Real Salt Salt Lake assistant coach Robin Fraser was announced as the new Chivas USA head coach on Tuesday afternoon. He replaces Ramon Vazquez who was fired at the end of the regular season.
Fraser, 44, has been an assistant under head coach Jason Kreis since June 2007, and was instrumental in helping RSL set a new league record this year for fewest goals allowed in a season. During his playing career in MLS Fraser was named a five time MLS Best XI defender and a two-time defender of the year.
Greg Vanney, the director of Real Salt Lake's RSL-Arizona youth development program, will join Fraser as an assistant coach.
"We cannot thank Robin and Greg enough for their services on behalf of Real Salt Lake," said RSL president Bill Manning. "It was only a matter of time before Robin was tabbed as a head coach in this league, and I believe he will be a good one. Greg did a tremendous job forming the RSL-Arizona Academy program, which should prove to go a long way in shaping the future of our club. Both are true professionals of the highest caliber, and we wish them nothing but success at Chivas USA."
Real Salt Lake's technical staff is already in search of a replacement, and hopes to have the position filled by this weekend's MLS Player Combine in Florida.
"We are all extremely pleased for Robin to get this fantastic opportunity and know that he will certainly enjoy great success as a head coach in Major League Soccer," said Kreis. "Robin was an extremely important member of our coaching staff, integral to all of our successes to date. He will be sorely missed, and I want to thank him deeply for what he meant to me, this team, and this club"
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 67
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 34
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28