28. WEST VALLEY CITY, Aug. 30 — Taylor Pankow, 15, was stabbed to death in the parking lot of Family Dollar, 4760 W. 4715 South. A fellow Hunter High classmate, 16-year-old Jonatan Bustos, was charged as an adult with murder. The stabbing was reportedly the result of a dispute over an iPod. Alleged motive: dispute. Method: stabbing.
29. WEST HAVEN, Aug. 30 — Malachi Darcey, 30, was severely beaten outside the Outlaw Western Saloon, 1254 W. 2100 South. His family pulled him off life support a day after he was injured during a fight between two groups. Police say they interviewed "dozens" of witnesses, but all gave conflicting testimonies. Various suspects were named by witnesses, but no arrests were made. The Weber County Attorney's Office declined to file charges due to insufficient evidence. Police say their investigation is complete and they may consider re-classifying the death as an accident, because they believe the fatal blow may have been sustained when Darcey's head hit the sidewalk. It is still currently classified as a homicide. Motive: unknown. Method: beating.
30 and 31. LAYTON. Sept. 8 — James Warhola, 8, and Jean Warhola, 7, were strangled to death inside their home, 2184 N. Snoqualmie Circle. Sun Cha Warhola, 44, their mother, was charged with two counts of aggravated murder. The children's father, Kenneth Warhola, arrived home after work and found his wife locked in the children's bedroom. She let him in after 15 minutes where he found the childrens' lifeless bodies on the bed. The cause of death for each child was believed to be strangulation. The woman's mental competency will be discussed in a court hearing Jan. 14. Alleged motive: domestic. Method: strangulation.
32. RICHFIELD. Sept. 24 — Lori Rickenbach, 41, was found shot to death in her home, 747 N. 400 East. Police say her husband, Scott Rickenbach, 45, shot her and then turned the gun on himself in a murder-suicide. Investigators say the couple, who were parents of four children, were having marital problems. Motive: domestic. Method: shooting.
33. CEDAR CITY, Sept. 28 — Cayden Lasseter, 14 months, died from serious head injuries. Thomas Harry Canum III, who was watching the infant, was charged with child abuse homicide. Canum was living with Lasseter's mother at the time and was the only adult home the night the fatal injuries were sustained. Police say it appears to be a shaken-baby case. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 19. Alleged motive: domestic. Method: shaking.
34. CEDAR CITY, Sept. 29 — Tayshaun Gorecki, 11 months, was originally injured on Dec. 18, 2009, but died later as a result of his injuries. His father, Andy Gorecki, 25, was charged with child abuse homicide. He remained in jail the entire time the boy was on life support. Investigators believe the infant died as a result of shaken baby syndrome. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 19. Alleged motive: domestic. Method: shaking.
35. SALT LAKE CITY, Oct. 2 — Roy Jackson, 50, was killed during a fight at 451 S. State. Rueben Cesspooch Jr., 52, was charged with third-degree felony homicide by assault. Both men were homeless. Cesspooch pushed Jackson to the ground, causing him to strike his head, according to court documents. Jackson suffered a skull fracture and brain damage. Alleged motive: unknown. Method: assault.
36. BOUNTIFUL, Oct. 4 — Tina Wilson, 39, was found dead inside her apartment near 500 South and 200 East. Police believe she died Sept. 29. The West Clinton Elementary janitor had her hands and head wrapped in packaging tape and her body was hidden in a bedroom under blankets and a mattress. Chad R. Mecham, 27, a friend and former co-worker whom Wilson would help every so often, was later charged with murder. Mecham wasted no time pleading guilty and was sentenced in November to 15 years to life in prison. No explanation was ever given. Motive: unknown. Method: strangulation.
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- Two killed in crash between school bus and...
- Highland man accused of sexually assaulting 2...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in science
- 30 homes evacuated, 30 more threatened by...
- Roy dancer makes 'So You Think You Can Dance'...
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 44
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 33
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs... 32
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Herriman man dies following fistfight... 22
- Man shot, killed by Spanish Fork police... 19
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 16
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15