20. KEARNS, June 13 — Vanessa Hart, 4, died of head trauma and massive internal injuries. Her father, Clinton Hart, 22, was charged with murder, two counts of child abuse and one count of obstructing justice. His live-in girlfriend, Marina Navarro was charged with aggravated murder and three counts of child abuse. Police say older injuries showing a pattern of child abuse were discovered during the autopsy. Doctors said the injuries could not have been caused by falling down a flight of stairs, as was claimed. Court proceedings for Navarro were stalled until she could deliver the baby she conceived with Hart. Alleged motive: domestic. Method: beating.
21. SALT LAKE CITY, June 14 — Deborah Haudley, 34, was killed in a hotel room. Haudley had been in a fight with her boyfriend, Oscar Reyes, 34, the night before and he allegedly punched her in the face. When he awoke the next day, she was deceased in the bed next to him. Reyes was charged with homicide by domestic assault, a third-degree felony. Alleged motive: domestic. Method: beating.
22. SALT LAKE CITY, June 24 — Juan Jose Rubio-Navaro, 32, was shot and killed while sitting at the edge of his driveway at 545 N. New Star Drive (1785 West), waiting for a ride to work. Jose Adrian Rodriguez-Ramirez, 26, and his roommate, Jose Allan Gallegos-Mendoza, 25, were each charged with murder. Marta Campusano, 24, the victim's wife, was charged with obstruction of justice, Police say she was having an affair with Rodriguez-Ramirez, which she tried to hide from investigators. A preliminary hearing for Rodriguez-Ramirez and Gallegos-Mendoza is set for Feb. 4. A trial for Campusano is scheduled to start Jan. 19. Motive: unknown. Method: shooting.
23. WEST VALLEY CITY, June 30 — Joseph Hewitt, 65, was found unconscious and bleeding at the foot of a staircase by police officers. Hewitt's nephew, Kenneth Toso Tupea, 32, was charged with manslaughter and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with Hewitt's death. The second charge stemmed from the beating of another uncle, who was 69 years old at the time, with a cane. He allegedly acted violently with the men following an argument because Tupea apparently believed Hewitt was abusing his children, witnesses later testified in court. Alleged motive: domestic. Motive: beating.
24. SANDY, July 13 — Magda A. Aleman, 33, was found dead inside her home, 11436 Tiger Tail Circle (1100 East). She was shot and suffered blunt force trauma. Cody Reece was linked to the crime several months later and charged with aggravated murder, a first-degree felony. After investigators were able to tie him to the crime using DNA evidence, they were able to re-trace his footsteps and discovered Reece was involved in a series of crimes that day. He had been stealing mail in the area, was intoxicated, and was arrested that same day after breaking into another Sandy house after the murder. He assaulted the home owner and ran, but was caught after neighbors chased after him and held him until police arrived. Reece was in and out of jail two more times before Sandy detectives linked him to the homicide. He has a roll call hearing Jan. 6. Motive: unknown. Method: shooting.
25. SOUTH SALT LAKE, July 27 — Five-year-old Stephanie Guadalupe Espindola-Cedillo was beaten to death, allegedly with a spatula. Angeles Cadillo-Castro, 31, the girl's mother, was charged with murder. Her daughter was found at their home at 726 W. Timbercreek Way (3875 South). Castro called her husband at work, telling him she couldn't wake their daughter up. Bruises were found on the girl's back, legs and buttocks. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Cadillo-Castro on Feb. 18. Alleged motive: domestic. Method: beating.
26. TAYLORSVILLE, Aug. 26 — Steven Norman, 29, was shot in the head and killed at 2216 W. Heatherglen Drive (4400 South). Steven Lee Sanchez, 31, and Rodrick Travis Dejolie, 26, were each charged with murder and aggravated burglary. Sanchez was arrested Aug. 31 in Farmington, N.M., and Dejolie was arrested Sept. 17 in Flagstaff, Ariz. Witnesses said both men stated earlier in the evening that they had a "score to settle" with Norman. Motive: unknown. Method: shooting.
27. SOUTH SALT LAKE, Aug. 28 — Maria Nevarez-Tolentino, 36, was shot and killed in the parking lot of the Sun River Apartments, 1080 W. 3300 South. Salvador Alejandro Landin-Castanon, 29, the victim's ex-boyfriend, was arrested and charged with murder. Landin-Castanon was reportedly upset that Tolentino was going to go on a date with another man. She had broken up with him five months earlier. Landin-Castanon pleaded guilty to murder in December. He is scheduled for sentencing Jan. 24. Motive: domestic. Method: shooting.
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- Mia Love paying back money spent on...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 81
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 54
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 47
- Mia Love paying back money spent on... 43
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 34
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 18
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15