Sherrie Allred Rice
1. SALT LAKE CITY, Jan. 1 — Steven McKinney, 23, was accidentally shot and killed at his home at 436 N. Redwood Road. A group of friends were talking when a gun held by McKinney's close friend Ian Lewis went off. Lewis was charged with manslaughter. Motive: accident. Method: shooting.
2. OREM, Jan. 4 — Norma Villalobos-Guzman, 36, was stabbed to death in her home at 536 E. Sage Circle. Her husband, Roberto Aguirre Ramirez, 27, stabbed himself during the dispute and spent several days in intensive care before he was arrested. He had been deported on a drug conviction just months earlier. Though initially charged with murder, Ramirez pleaded guilty to manslaughter, a second-degree felony, and was sentenced to one to 15 years in prison. Motive: domestic. Method: stabbing.
3. DELTA, Jan. 5 — Millard County sheriff's deputy Josie Greathouse Fox, 37, was shot and killed during a traffic stop on US-50 east of Delta. Roberto Miramontes Roman, 37, has pleaded not guilty to capital murder in Fox's death and tampering with evidence, a third-degree felony. He was arrested the next day in a shed in Beaver following a statewide manhunt that saw SWAT teams raid homes in Salt Lake City, Nephi, and Fillmore. Ruben Chavez-Reyes, 36, was arrested along with Roman and charged with obstructing justice, a second-degree felony. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to one to 15 years in prison. The pair was apparently smoking meth the night before the shooting and officers who interviewed Roman said he told them he shot at Fox because he believed she pulled him over because he was Mexican. Motive: unknown. Method: shooting.
4. OGDEN, Jan. 24 — Robert Hendricks, 2 months, was allegedly smothered by his mother inside their Ogden apartment. Investigators say Jewell Marie Hendricks, 26, told them she'd become frustrated with the child's crying and smothered him. Robert Hendricks' twin brother was placed in state custody. Jewell Hendricks is charged with murder, a first-degree felony. Alleged motive: domestic. Method: suffocation.
5. MILLCREEK, Jan. 29 — Tetyana Nikitina, 34, was shot multiple times and killed just as she had left her pre-school job at 336 E. 3900 South and was getting into her car. Mary Nance Hanson, 71, Nikitina's former mother-in-law, was charged with murder. Nikitina had been married to Dale Jankowski and they had two children together. She was engaged to be married to another man at the time of her death. When Hanson pleaded guilty, she requested the death penalty. When the judge told her that wasn't an option, she replied, "Well, then I guess I didn't do a good enough job." Hanson was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison. Motive: unknown. Method: shooting.
6 and 7. LAYTON, Feb. 6 — Rebecca Kaye Toone, 4, and Rachel Ana Toone, 15 months, died after Fumitoxin tablets were placed around their Layton home. Coleman Nocks, 62, was charged with two counts negligent homicide in connection with the deaths. Nocks was employed by Bountiful-based Bugman Pest and Lawn Inc., which was called to remove voles, a small species of rodent. Authorities believe the Toone girls may have inhaled phosphine fumes emitted from Fumitoxin, a rat poison. A product manual for Fumitoxin states that the pesticide should not be placed "into a burrow system that is within 15 feet" of an occupied building. Investigators say Nocks placed tablets less than 10 feet from the Toones' front door. Motive: accidental. Method: fumes.
8. PROVO, Feb. 21 — Amy Candland, 41, was beaten, raped and strangled to death in the house she shared with her nephew at 1075 E. 300 North. Her nephew, Damien Candland, was arrested after a hiker found her body in Hobble Creek Canyon, east of Springville. Damien Candland was charged with murder, rape and desecration of a body. Authorities believe he may have killed his aunt to prevent her testimony in a pending assault case. Motive: unknown. Method: strangulation.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- Controversial Rocky Mountain Power bill gets...
- Police investigating death of man found near...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11