Ed Andrieski, Associated Press
DENVER — Rookie Ryan Mathews ran for three scores and Nate Kaeding kicked four field goals in the San Diego Chargers' 33-28 win over the Denver Broncos on Sunday.
The Broncos finished 4-12, the first time in the franchise's 51-year history that they lost more than 11 games, but they did secure the No. 2 overall draft pick in April.
San Diego (9-7) missed the playoffs, ceding the AFC West title they had won four straight seasons to the upstart Kansas City Chiefs.
Mathews topped 100 yards for the first time, gaining 120 yards on 26 carries and scoring on runs of 27, 12 and 31 yards.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 173
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 45