Top 10 sports stories: Utes, Cougars and all that Jazz, etc.
No team even came close to beating the Bingham Miners in football this season. The nationally-ranked team (finished fourth in USA Today polls) won game after game by an average of 40 points. Bingham finished 13-0 and promised to put 13 players into Division I schools on football scholarships.
The only debate left when it comes to the Miners is whether or not any high school football squad in Utah history comes close to being its equal.
No. 9 A really great season ends early
What a year it was for Real Salt Lake. Last year, the team qualified for the playoffs on the last day and then won the MLS Cup. This year, they put together a record-breaking, 25-game unbeaten streak at Rio Tinto Stadium, which is still in progress, contended for the Supporter's Shield for the league's best record until the season's final weekend and qualified for the playoffs weeks before the end of the regular season.
The squad fell short of it's number one goal, however, when RSL was ousted from the playoffs in the first round.
No. 10 Deron Williams gets his (All-) Star moment
It didn't take long for Utah Jazz point guard Deron Williams to establish himself as one of the NBA's best point guards.
It did take a little longer, however, to convince all-star voters that the Illinois alum was worthy of the league's all-star game.
In a move that many, including Williams, felt was long overdue, he was named to the Western Conference All-Star team as a reserve in his fifth NBA season.
Williams was thrilled with the invitation, especially since the game was played in his hometown of Dallas. He impressed in his first appearance with 14 points, six assists and four steals.
"This was a great experience for me, a great first All-Star Game," Williams said. "I just hope it's the first of many in my career."
Williams and the Jazz went on to make the playoffs. They defeated Denver in the first round of the playoffs, only to be swept by the eventual champion Lakers in the Western Conference semifinals.
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Jazz in talks with German center Pleiss,...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 61
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 24
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 23
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13