If the screening you wanted is now sold out, try the "day of festival" route. Daily, a certain number of tickets to screenings are released. You have to show up to see what's available. Surprise! For Salt Lake venues, go to the box office at Trolley Square. In Park City, visit the box office in its Gateway mall (not Salt Lake Gateway). Tickets for each theater's first screening of the day are released at 8 a.m. the day before. You have to get all these in person.
Can't plan ahead or missed out on other options? The final-last minute option is the wait list, which Parker said has become popular with hundreds of attendees each year. Two hours before the screening you hope to see, go to that venue and pick up a number — one per person — and at least a half hour before, find your place in the line. Festival staff will see how many people haven't shown up 15 minutes before the show and will sell tickets to that many people. Wait list numbers are given one hour before the day's first screening time. Wait list tickets are $15 each, cash only.
The films that win awards at the festival will all be available for free local screening the day after the festival ends, as well. Those tickets are distributed Jan. 15 and 16 in Park City and Salt Lake and Jan. 15 only at Sundance and in Ogden. Each person can get two tickets per screening, but no more than four total. You can try to just show up for a screening, but no tickets may be available. Details are online at www.sundance.org
e-mail: Lois@desnews.com Twitter: Loisco
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Two bodies discovered near Provo's Squaw Peak
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- No aftershocks from Saturday's Tooele quake
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 79
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 28
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 24
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 18
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 13