If the screening you wanted is now sold out, try the "day of festival" route. Daily, a certain number of tickets to screenings are released. You have to show up to see what's available. Surprise! For Salt Lake venues, go to the box office at Trolley Square. In Park City, visit the box office in its Gateway mall (not Salt Lake Gateway). Tickets for each theater's first screening of the day are released at 8 a.m. the day before. You have to get all these in person.
Can't plan ahead or missed out on other options? The final-last minute option is the wait list, which Parker said has become popular with hundreds of attendees each year. Two hours before the screening you hope to see, go to that venue and pick up a number — one per person — and at least a half hour before, find your place in the line. Festival staff will see how many people haven't shown up 15 minutes before the show and will sell tickets to that many people. Wait list numbers are given one hour before the day's first screening time. Wait list tickets are $15 each, cash only.
The films that win awards at the festival will all be available for free local screening the day after the festival ends, as well. Those tickets are distributed Jan. 15 and 16 in Park City and Salt Lake and Jan. 15 only at Sundance and in Ogden. Each person can get two tickets per screening, but no more than four total. You can try to just show up for a screening, but no tickets may be available. Details are online at www.sundance.org
e-mail: Lois@desnews.com Twitter: Loisco
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Horse owners urged to have animals vaccinated
- Judiciary panel OK’s ex-Centerville...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 14