EL PASO, Texas — Freshman Tommy Rees passed for 201 yards and two touchdowns to Michael Floyd as Notre Dame beat Miami 33-10 in the Sun Bowl on Friday, making Brian Kelly the first Fighting Irish coach to win a bowl game in his first season.
Notre Dame (8-5) reached the end zone on three of its first four possessions. Rees tossed TD passes of 3 and 34 yards to Floyd and Cierre Wood broke free on a 34-yard scoring run before David Ruffer added field goals from 40, 50 and 19 yards.
The Irish closed with four victories to cap an up-and-down season under Kelly. After a 1-3 start, they endured the death of the team's student videographer and the loss of quarterback Dayne Crist to a season-ending injury during a stunning 28-27 loss to Tulsa in South Bend, Ind.
The Hurricanes (7-6) trailed 30-3 going into the fourth quarter, completing a season in which their coach was fired with an ugly loss.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 143
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 38
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16