EL PASO, Texas — Freshman Tommy Rees passed for 201 yards and two touchdowns to Michael Floyd as Notre Dame beat Miami 33-10 in the Sun Bowl on Friday, making Brian Kelly the first Fighting Irish coach to win a bowl game in his first season.
Notre Dame (8-5) reached the end zone on three of its first four possessions. Rees tossed TD passes of 3 and 34 yards to Floyd and Cierre Wood broke free on a 34-yard scoring run before David Ruffer added field goals from 40, 50 and 19 yards.
The Irish closed with four victories to cap an up-and-down season under Kelly. After a 1-3 start, they endured the death of the team's student videographer and the loss of quarterback Dayne Crist to a season-ending injury during a stunning 28-27 loss to Tulsa in South Bend, Ind.
The Hurricanes (7-6) trailed 30-3 going into the fourth quarter, completing a season in which their coach was fired with an ugly loss.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 282
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 67
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 37
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 33