Mike Terry, Deseret News
For many, 2010 was a year of tragedy and loss. But as the photos collected here show, the spirit of Utah is one of resilience and strength. Over the past year, Deseret News photographers captured Utahns in some of their most difficult and triumphant moments — from the day in January when local nurse Elizabeth Howell carried a 4-year-old boy to a hospital for surgery in Haiti after the devastating earthquakes there, to the day the boys of Alta High celebrated their 5A basketball state title. What all of these pictures have in common, whether documenting disappointment or joy, is the beauty of the human spirit.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 35
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13