Paul Sakuma,file, Associated Press
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Interim 49ers coach Jim Tomsula has made his pick: Alex Smith will start at quarterback in San Francisco's final game Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals.
Tomsula says the decision was based on Smith's experience.
Smith was benched for last Sunday's must-win game at St. Louis in favor of Troy Smith. But coach Mike Singletary, who was later fired, went back to Alex Smith in the fourth quarter of the 49ers' 25-17 loss.
San Francisco (5-10) has missed the playoffs for the eighth straight year.
This is likely Alex Smith's final hurrah in a 49ers uniform. The 2005 No. 1 overall pick out of Utah will become a free agent after the season.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33