Paul Sakuma,file, Associated Press
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Interim 49ers coach Jim Tomsula has made his pick: Alex Smith will start at quarterback in San Francisco's final game Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals.
Tomsula says the decision was based on Smith's experience.
Smith was benched for last Sunday's must-win game at St. Louis in favor of Troy Smith. But coach Mike Singletary, who was later fired, went back to Alex Smith in the fourth quarter of the 49ers' 25-17 loss.
San Francisco (5-10) has missed the playoffs for the eighth straight year.
This is likely Alex Smith's final hurrah in a 49ers uniform. The 2005 No. 1 overall pick out of Utah will become a free agent after the season.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 28
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22