Paul Sakuma,file, Associated Press
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Interim 49ers coach Jim Tomsula has made his pick: Alex Smith will start at quarterback in San Francisco's final game Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals.
Tomsula says the decision was based on Smith's experience.
Smith was benched for last Sunday's must-win game at St. Louis in favor of Troy Smith. But coach Mike Singletary, who was later fired, went back to Alex Smith in the fourth quarter of the 49ers' 25-17 loss.
San Francisco (5-10) has missed the playoffs for the eighth straight year.
This is likely Alex Smith's final hurrah in a 49ers uniform. The 2005 No. 1 overall pick out of Utah will become a free agent after the season.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48